Schauffele & Fleischmann, ODs Eye Doctor in Sacramento, California
What are pink eye symptoms?
Think you have pink eye? Contact our Sacramento eye doctor for diagnosis & treatment Pink eye is pretty common, but there’s nothing pretty about this condition! Not only do pink eyes look ghoulish, but they can also hurt.
What is pink eye?
Officially called conjunctivitis, pink eye is caused by swelling in your eye. The conjunctiva – which is the thin and transparent tissue that lines your inner eyelids and coats the whites of your eyes – becomes inflamed. This eye infection is highly contagious, especially in kids, and it spreads quickly through schools. The good news is that pink eye is rarely serious and doesn’t usually cause any lasting damage to your vision.
There are several types of conjunctivitis, and the best treatment depends largely upon whether you have mild pink eye symptoms, allergic pink eye symptoms, bacterial pink eye symptoms, or pink eye symptoms with fever.
Many eye diseases can be quickly and easily diagnosed during a Comprehensive eye exam, Pediatric eye exam and Contact lens eye exam. If you were diagnosed with an eye disease, such as Cataracts, Glaucoma, Macular degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, or Dry eye, you may be overwhelmed by the diagnosis and confused about what happens next. Will you need medications or surgery – now or in the future? Is LASIK eye and vision surgery an option for you ? Our Sacramento eye doctor is always ready to answer your questions about eye disease and Contact lenses.
At Schauffele & Fleischmann, ODs, we diagnose and treat conjunctivitis regularly. To keep you informed about pink eye and ready to cope if it happens to you or any member of your family, our Sacramento, California, eye doctor has prepared the following Q & A:
I have swollen, itchy, and pink eyes. What should I do?
Don’t delay – contact us at Schauffele & Fleischmann, ODs to book an urgent eye exam. It is important to get a precise diagnosis as soon as possible. That’s the only way to ensure that you are receiving the best treatment. When you follow our Sacramento eye doctor’s recommendations, your pink eye should clear up quickly with no lasting complications.
What are pink eye symptoms?
The most common symptoms of pink eye include:
- Itchy eyes
- Red eyes and redness in the inner eyelid
- More tears than usual
- Swollen conjunctiva
- Burning or stinging eyes
- Green or yellow discharge from the eye
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Blurry vision
- Swollen lymph nodes (from a virus)
Depending on how serious your eye infection is, you may experience mild pink eye symptoms or more severe pink eye symptoms with fever.
What are the causes of pink eye?
The most typical causes of pink eye are:
- Viruses, including the common cold
- Fungi, parasites, and amoebas
- Irritants, such as smoke, chlorine, shampoo and dirt
- Reaction to eye drops or medication
- Allergic reaction to dust, smoke, pet dander, or pollen; some people are also allergic to specific contact lens solutions
Why does it matter what caused my pink eye?
In order to treat pink eye effectively, it’s important to have an eye exam to determine the root of the problem. Our Sacramento, California, the optometrist will evaluate your condition thoroughly and recommend the most helpful, personalized treatment.
Your pink eye symptoms can often point to the root of the problem. For example, pink eye caused by a virus (the most common and probably the most contagious!) usually starts in one eye and spreads to the second eye within a few days. In contrast, bacterial pink eye symptoms generally affect one eye but can be present in both, and these infections usually create a lot of oozing mucus. And allergic pink eye symptoms are usually characterized by itchy eyes, tearing, and redness (often accompanied by a runny, itchy nose).
What pink eye treatment brings relief?
As soon as you have an eye exam at Schauffele & Fleischmann, ODs, we’ll treat your condition with the best therapy to alleviate your symptoms and heal the infection.
- If you have bacterial pink eye, you will need to take antibiotics – either as eye drops, ointments, or pills. This type of infection usually clears up within a week.
- If a virus caused your case of pink eye, there’s little to do but let the virus run its course.
- When pink eye is caused by an irritating substance, you can rinse your eye with water for a few minutes. This generally brings relief and your eyes should start to heal within a few hours.
- Allergic pink eye symptoms should improve as soon as you receive allergy medication and/or avoid the allergen that is your trigger. Antihistamines will offer some pink eye relief, especially from itchy eyes.
Visit your Sacramento, California, eye doctor for pink eye diagnosis and treatment Our emergency eye doctor at Schauffele & Fleischmann, ODs will perform an urgent eye exam to assess your condition and prescribe treatment. If you suspect that you have pink eye, contact our office for assistance.
Book an appointment online here CLICK FOR AN APPOINTMENT